Saturday, February 14, 2009

Ron Able

Yesterday was a very strange and sad day. The city of Winnipeg lost a great man in Ron Able from QX104. If you're not sure of who he was make sure you take the time to read today's newspapers or go online to various sites and find out. I think a lot of the time we don't acknowledge the other radio stations in the city because people think we're always all competeing against one another. Not today as I write this.

My first job in radio was working at Hot103 and QX104 back in 2001 and 2002. Over the course of almost 2 years I worked with Ron out on location as that was my job, to set up equipment for on location broadcasts. I had the chance to work with him a few times and he was always great. Lots of times when you work with the "jocks" some treat the part time crew with less respect then the other announcers...Not Ron. He was a great guy and was definetly an influence for a lot of people growing up in Winnipeg who wanted to get into radio.

My sincere condolences go out to his mom, sisters, brother and of course Caroline Hunter (his co-host at QX) and everyone at the station.

Rest in Peace Ron.

1 comment:

  1. Ron Able was my uncle, and a great uncle at that. I stumbled upon your blog accidentally and it warms my heart to see once again the amazing influence my Uncle has had in radio, in Winnipeg, and aparently all over Canada and the world. Uncle Ron was a kind, gentle man with a sense of humour that could make even the hardiest people blush... it is sad that he is gone, but it's so wonderful as a member of his family to see just how loved and respected he was. Thanks for sharing your take on my uncle with me and my family; I am including this post in a scrapbook I'm making for my Grandmother and the rest of the family. Best wishes... Christina DeCurtis

    ReplyDelete